Superimposed over its rolling terrain, Woodville enjoys an orderly and aesthetically pleasing town plan, centered on a square of ancient oaks where the spire of the turn-of-the century Beaux Arts courthouse rises, asserting the importance of the town as the seat of Wilkinson County.
According to the inventory of over a hundred buildings significant to its National Register Historic District listing, Woodville structures date from the first quarter of the 19th Century and include a rich diversity of examples of Federal, Eastlake, Arts and Crafts, Greek Revival, Beaux Art and Neo-classical architecture. Fronting Courthouse Square are the monumental office and banking house of the West Feliciana Railroad (c. 1834), now the Wilkinson County Museum, and home to the area’s Main Street Program.; and the classic federal-style former Branch Banking House of the State of Mississippi (c. 1819), the state’s oldest existing bank building, now the African-American Museum. The former railroad office may be one of the oldest railroad office buildings in the U. S.
Excellent examples of noteworthy domestic architecture abound, including the Neo-classical Lewis house (c. 1832) at 458 Church St., the monumental Feltus-Catchings house (c. 1820) at the Southwest corner of First South and Depot streets, the Greek Revival Carnot Posey House (c. 1845) at 432 Church St. and the John William Goddard house at 940 Main Street.